Where is Amantadine Hydrochloride used?
Amantadine Hydrochloride is an FDA-approved prescription used for the treatment of;
- Parkinson’s disease
- Pain associated with shingles called herpes zoster
This medicine has pharmacological actions as both an anti-Parkinson’s and an antiviral drug. This drug restores the balance of certain natural substances in the brain that helps with the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease and shingles.
How does Amantadine Hydrochloride work?
This medicine works in several actions that permit it to control some symptoms of the disease.
- It increases the activity of dopamine in the brain. Dopamine is known to be absent in the brains of individuals with Parkinson’s disease. This is understood to be the main reason for the disease’s symptoms. By increasing the release of dopamine in the brain, Amantadine Hydrochloride replaces some lost dopamine. Therefore, it reduces some symptoms of the disease.
- Amantadine Hydrochloride also has a mild anticholinergic effect. It stops the activity of acetylcholine. There is usually a balance between the activity of dopamine and the activity of acetylcholine in the brain. By decreasing the action of acetylcholine, this medication helps restore the balance of dopamine and acetylcholine in the brain. This also helps reduce some symptoms.
- This medication affects a third neurotransmitter called glutamate. Overactivity of this neurotransmitter is also thought to play a role in causing the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. Amantadine Hydrochloride stops the receptors in the brain that glutamate commonly acts on.
How is Amantadine Hydrochloride taken?
Take this medication once a day by mouth with or without food. The recommended dosage will depend on your medical condition and response to treatment. Take each dose at the same time each day to help you remember. Use this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it.
Do not stop using this medicine without consulting your doctor. If you stop taking this medication or if your dosage is quickly reduced your condition may get worse. Your doctor may slowly decrease your dosage to lessen the chance of symptoms. Tell your doctor right away if any new or worsening symptoms.
What are the precautions in using Amantadine Hydrochloride?
- Use Amantadine Hydrochloride with caution in elderly people and people with underlying psychiatric disorders. For people with kidney or liver disorders, this medication should be used with caution as well.
- This drug should not be used in pregnant or breastfeeding women, with severe kidney disease, or those who suffer from fits.
- Amantadine Hydrochloride may cause dizziness and blurred vision. It may affect your ability to perform hazardous activities safely. Do not perform such activities if you do not know exactly how this drug affects you.
- While having this medication, limit alcoholic beverages. It may increase your risk of having certain side effects.
- Let your doctor know if you have any other medications including herbal supplements or vitamins.
- Older adults may be more sensitive to the side effects of this medicine. This should be used with caution in them.
- If you are taking this medication for treatment, you should not receive any vaccinations or immunizations without talking to your doctor.